
As anyone who has shared a tv with me at any point in time for the past year can tell you, I'm hooked on my Ghost Hunters. I'm hooked on Ghost Hunters like it wasn't full of ghosts, but with crack cocaine. I told my therapist and she threw her hands up in the air "Why are you watching that? You're terrified of ghosts!!"
I imagine it did seem pretty odd. I do in fact carry around a hefty load of phasmophobia, aka a fear of ghosts (Write it down, there's a quiz later), I've seen many in my time, and I have to sleep with the lights on when I'm home alone and I've watched a spooky movie all by m'self. However, it isn't really as out of place in my psyche as you'd think. Spooky movies have their stars at the mercy of various supernatural forces, and in real life it almost seems too ridiculous or freaksome to be happening. The awesome gents and ladies of The Atlantic Paranormal Society, on the other hand, are so in control. They chase ghosts the way stormchasers chase tornados. Week after week, they wander around in really dark, really effed-up places, and one of them says "Whoa, dude, I just saw a man standing in that corner!" or "Dude, did you hear that voice?" and instead of flipping out, they giggle like kids at Christmas and CHASE. IT. They see the spooky thing and run towards it like the disembodied voice or full-body apparition is a pinata full of candy and Rolex watches. And they always come home in one piece. It might get a little scary, or a little intense. You might even get slapped by something you can't see. But you'll still be fine at the end of the day. In the end, you're more mobile and more determined than any old ghost, and hopefully you've got his voice on an EVP to show the world that these things do exist.
Where am I going with this? Next weekend, I will be staying aboard the Queen Mary, a very haunted little tub in Long Beach, with my parents and grandma. We will be going on the ghost tour. And then, at the end of the evening, when my parents tuck themselves into bed....
the ship is mine to investigate.

My mother has also commented on the fact that I love Ghost Hunters and Paranormal State and yet when we see the ghost that live in our house I make my brother sleep in my room. There is something very empowering about the way they deal with this stuff. Oh, TAPS, how do we love thee? Let me count the ways...
ReplyDeleteYou gots a ghost in your house? Btw I've been warned by fellow ghost hunters that I have to tell someone aboard that I'm ghost hunting.
ReplyDeleteI'm not though. Rebel rebel! If they ask, I'm wandering the halls recording compliments for the hotel's publicity department.
Also, I can name MANY ways I'd like to show Grant Wilson my love.